Sunday, January 8, 2012

Butterick 5185 - Red Cheetah Side Twist Top

While peruszing through online clothing catalogs, I saw this beauty:

Cache.com
I immediately thought of this ITY knit that I had in my stash from Fabric Mart

Fabric Mart
and Butterick 5185

Butterick 5185

About $8 and 4 hours later I had a nice shirt to wear to work or on the weekends. I already have multiple pant and skirt bottoms to wear with this top and during the shoulder months, I could even pair this top with a nice pair of shorts.


Pattern Description:
Close-fitting, pullover, hip or below-hip length top has surplice front, forming knot and asymmetrical side front opening. All garments have narrow hem finishing. A: sleeveless. B: below elbow length sleeve. C: sleeve cap.
Pattern Sizing: BB(8-10-12-14), FF(16-18-20-22)
Fabric Used: ITY Knit
Cost to Make: $6 for fabric (1 yard) and $1 for pattern (Joanns $1 sale)
Time to Make: About 4 hours total; mainly because I am slow at doing narrow hems and the entire hem and sleeves are done with narrow hems.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern? Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very!
What did you particularly like about this pattern? I liked the side twist and hi-lo hem
What did you dislike about the pattern? Not a thing!
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made? I made two minor adjustments. First, I stitched the side slit closed. On me, the opening was quite high and with low-waisted pants, this showed my stomach. So I just laid the top over the bottom and stitched along the previous hem line. I didn't stitch all the way down, so there is still a slight opening at the bottom. Second, I stitched the top of the vneck closed. I do this so that my breast are properly covered and have no chance of spilling out during the day. I can also bend over without showing all the goods. I actually do this to all my vneck tops; even store-bought ones. 
Would you recommend it to others? Most definitely. It is easy!
Conclusion: Great addition to any wardrobe and can be maid from a wide range of stretch fabrics...from super casual to dressy.

No comments:

Post a Comment