Monday, January 16, 2012

McCalls 6400 Asymmetrical Mosaic Top

I was so tempted to make this top is a solid color. My rule is (generally) the more complex the design, the simplier the fabric pattern; ie: complex designs look best in solid colors. Conversely, The more complex the fabric's pattern, the simplier the design should be.

Well, this time I broke both rules. I used a somewhat complex fabric pattern on a somewhat complex top design. I think the results were perfect and goes to show that there are NO hard and fast rules when it comes to fashion! In the end, I decided that perhaps the design of this shirt wasn't as complicated as I thought which is why it holds the fabric's pattern well.


Description:
Close fitting asymmetrical top

Pattern Sizing:
 Y(XSmall-Small-Medium), ZZ(Large-XLarge-XXLarge)

Fabric Used:
ITY Knit from Fabric Mart

Cost to Make: Time to Make:
About $8 (1 yard of fabric and $1 pattern). It took maybe 2 hours total.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern?
Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very easy. There are one two pieces (three is you make one arm long sleeved like I did).

What did you particularly like about this pattern?
I liked the two sleeve lengths.

What did you dislike about the pattern?
After making it, it was a little too asymmetrical. It almost borders on that....did she do that on purpose or was that an accident line. You kind of get that vibe if you look at the pic with my arms spread out. In some ways you can feel the shirt twisting around your body which adds to the 'was this an accident' feeling that I had. However, I don't plan to walk around with my arms sticking out so I should be fine.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made?
None.

Would you recommend it to others?
If you like wearing things slightly different than the norm, then go for it.

Conclusion:
I think it makes a great addition to any wardrobe. Gives you that 'oh that's different' top. Very quick to make and can lend itself to several fabrics.

1 comment: