Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Vogue 2797 - Asymmetric Geometric Black and White Dress

Now this is more me! This pattern has sat unused in my stash for several years now. This fabric has also sat in my stash for several years. Well, I finally made the match and out came this:



 Its both asymmetrical and geometric which is perfect for me bc I'm a Mathematician!

I completed this dress in about 3 hours with various interruptions. It is basically 4 pieces and a lot of narrow hems. I always buy Vogue when on sale for $4 and this fabric was a clearance table find. It seems to be a rayon lycra, but the stretch is very slight but bouncy. It could be polyester, but (if so) it is nicer (to sew) than most polyesters. Though, this fabric did give me some tension trouble! All in all, the dress cost about $10 to make.

The instructions were very easy - although the pattern says that you need to cut 2 of the back and you do not...you only need one. Thus, the fabric requirements listed on the back are a bit over stated. I had 2 yards of this fabric and it was just enough for a size 8. It was also 60" wide.

 It looks exactly like View C of the pattern!

I like the structured, asymmetrical look. I disliked nothing at all! Well, maybe before I realized I only needed to cut 1 back (instead of the stated 2), I was a little bummed because I felt this was the perfect fabric for this pattern.

Because my fabric had plenty of stretch, I did omit the zipper. Love omitting those whenever I get a chance!
I also sewed the sides with french seams so that I would not have to serge (the serger was much to rough on this delicate fabric - have to learn how to use it with delicate fabrics).

I know this style of dress is not for everyone, but if it is for you, go for it. You will not be disappointed. Very easy and quick to make. I will probably try a different view in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love that fabric, and I completely understand the appeal of geometric prints. If I could offer a suggestion: I think it will look even better worn with a higher heel. (If you like higher heels, that is.)

    ReplyDelete