Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Confessions of a FabricHolic

I am starting this blog for several reasons. Probably the most important reason is accountability. I need someone (something) to hold me accountable for reducing my fabric stash. Over the years, my stash has grown to an unmanageable level. It takes up a full 6' closet with most clothes hangers holding more than one piece. I have one drawer full of 100% linen and a continuously growing stack of fabrics on the toilet of our guest bathroom (sorry guests). As you can see....this is out of control.





I set a goal in 2010 to reduce this stash by about half. Unfortunately, IT GREW!!! So now in 2011, I am taking a different approach. I am going to blog about my efforts to reduce this stash....making it an adventure....and adding a factor of accountability.

The other reason for creating this blog is because I really do need a new wardrobe. Most of my clothes are over ten years old...when I was still a college coed! Now, I'm a mom, a wife, a professional...my tastes have changed, styles have changed, and some of my clothes are worn thin - to say the least. Clearly, I need a lot of wardrobe additions and I need them fast. It finally occurred to me, I have a new wardrobe! A fabulous one....in my fabric stash. So not only do I get to enjoy my hobby of sewing, but I also get a new wardrobe in the process.

Please join me on this journey to reduce my stash while building a wardrobe suitable for my current life. I hope that I am able to encourage others to sew or to reduce their stash as well. Even if you don't have a huge stash, sewing is a great way to add to or build a wardrobe. You don't have to waste time driving from store to store trying on clothes you don't like; clothes that barely fit. You can make clothes suited to your exact taste without having to compromise with the popular trend of the year (you know why didn't they make that in green or this would be cute if...). You can make clothes that fit YOUR body. Best of all, you can make clothes from high quality fabrics for much cheaper than retail!

LET'S BEGIN!!!

1 comment:

  1. I just got to your post from Butterick's facebook post. I am in a similar situation and goal for 2011 regarding my ever-growing fabric stash. Thankfully, I only have 1/3 of the walk-in closet full of fabric.So goodluck on your fabric-reduction journey, and you're not alone. ^_^

    ReplyDelete