Tuesday, February 1, 2011

McCalls 6079

So the first entry on my blog will be McCalls 6079 made from this beautiful silk floral fabric that my mom purchased for me during her trip to Israel this winter. I know....the first entry on my blog is from a piece of fabric that hasn't been in my stash long, but I was excited about this piece.

I have been eyeing these poncho like tops for months. My favorites were from stores like Neimann Marcus (shown below)

Etro Orange Bold Paisley Poncho
Orange Bold Paisley Poncho

Roberto Cavalli Printed Voile Poncho
Printed Voile Poncho
 
but they are a little (HA) out of my price range. Similar tops within my price range were very plain and uninspiring...mostly in solid colors and knits (not silks). So this fabric and pattern were just what I needed to create my version of a poncho top.

 Shown first worn as a dress; perhaps for a date night or while on vacation.


Shown as a tunic with a pair of jeans. Will probably wear mostly with slacks. 

Here's my Pattern Review.

Pattern Description: Loose fitting, pullover top A or tunics B, C have neck facings and narrow hems
Pattern Sizing: Regular and Plus
Fabric Used: Silk bought in Israel (gift to me from my mom)
Cost to Make: $2 - mainly because the fabric was a gift
Time to Make: 2.5 hours

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
For the most part, although I did make a few changes. Instead of a belt, I stitched a seam below each arm and I did not create slits in the shoulder.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, they were very easy.

What did you particularly like about this pattern?
I like the top and have been looking at them in several stores. I like that it can be worn as a long tunic or short dress (not sure I'll ever wear it this way though).

What did you dislike about the pattern?
I didn't like the slits in the shoulder, so I excluded them.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I omitted the slits in the shoulder.

Would you recommend it to others?
Yes!!!

Conclusion:
This is a great wardrobe builder and the design lends itself to various design changes. You could make it shorter or longer. You can make the sleeves shorter (more cap length).

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous dress! You should totally wear it as one, too. It looks fantastic ...

    I've been looking for a pattern like this but overlooked this McCalls because I couldn't think outside the box like you did to eliminate the slits and seam it down below the arms. I'll be buying it tonight! One question: how do you get your patterns for $1? I sometimes get them online for $1.99 or 3.99 but mostly patterns are stupidly expensive!

    Keep whittling that pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanns and Hancocks will both put patterns on sale fr $1 at least once a year, sometimes twice a year. I keep a list of the patterns I want and when the $1 sale comes, I go grab them all. They put them on sale for $1.99 several times a year, but be on the look out for that $1 sale. Joanns just had simplicity 5/$5 and Butterick for $1 in the past few months; I suspect the McCall's $1 sale is coming.

    ReplyDelete