Monday, February 14, 2011

My Stash Slash Plan

Ok, I decided that I needed a plan. So I created a Fabric catalog of my stash. I have 373 yards of fabric not including lining and muslin! I basically would have to sew a yard a day to finish this in one year. There is no way that is going to happen. Sewing is my hobby, so I am not going to make it a chore.
But! I do have a plan. I assigned every piece of fabric the pattern that I will use to make it. I then rated it on a scale of 1-3 with 3 being very sure that that is what I will make with the fabric. I also gave a scale of 1-3 for how easy the project will be and 1-3 on how excited I am about the project. I then sorted my list based on how sure I am about the project, how excited I am, and finally how easy the project will be. I decided to start with easy items so gain some momentum. Based on this list, I have my first 135 projects. I do reserve the right to sew out of order if I choose. But I like this method because I also get to see what projects are coming up which allows me to prewash fabric and purchase thread, zippers, or buttons as needed.
Here is a peak at my first three Fabric Catalog entries. Two of the projects shown here have been posted, the other project is on hold because I need ribbed fabric to complete it. (Oh yes, fabric that is needed to complete another project doesn't count either!)
TypeYardsColorFabric DescriptionPatternClothingClothing DescriptionOrderCertain?SeasonLevelExcitedWashed
Light Dress1.5yellow burgundypanel print topflounce sleeve tunic top13S13NA
knit2bluejersey with holesBurdadressworkout23S13Y
knit1.5tealgreen  ivorysee thru tye dye toptuck pleat gen T top33S13N

Other than sewing down my stash, last year, I finished all but one UFO (Unfinished Object). I altered all of the slacks that needed length and waist adjustments. However, I do have a stack of clothes in need of repair…mainly zippers that need fixing. So I will mix these things into my stash slash.

2 comments:

  1. Just today I visited with my mother, who is 90 years old. She had a stash, part of which she inherited from her mother, who was a seamstress. Well, my mother got her stash down to three pieces of fabric left, so it can be done - but it takes a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement...I need it!

    ReplyDelete