Monday, May 2, 2011

Purple Dress - Vogue 2556

I was excited about making this dress, but I am so-so about the results. I think that the tucks across the front should have been sewn into place (at the side seams) and the hem and edges at the neck and arm should have been finished (see my pattern review below). I think the dress is just ok and may wear it a time or two just to see how it wears. I may try to tack down some of the front tucks just so they don't fall and look like a confusing mess.

Alternatively, it may be my fabric choice. This pattern may have done better with a stiffer material where I could mold the tucks. It does call for a material with Lycra in it, so I suggest that your material had Lycra or something that will make it stiffer (moldable).

Here is the pattern picture:

And here is my dress:



Pattern Description:
Dress has drape cut-in-one with no left side seam.

Pattern Sizing:
(8-10-12) (14-16-18)
Fabric Used:
Polyester Knit

Cost to Make:
$10

Time to Make:
About 4 hours total

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes and No

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes they were

What did you particularly like about this pattern?
I liked the two-toned style of the dress.

What did you dislike about the pattern?
I didn't like that the tucks/pleats in the front were not sewn. So they are supposed to just kind of fall in place. Well actually you have to place them and I can imagine contunually place them throughout the day.

I also didn't like that the neckline, shoulder, edge, and hem were left unfinished. My scissors need sharpening, so I'll have to go back and fix some ragged edges, but I just don't like all the unfinished lines.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made?
None, this pattern doesn't lend itself for many alterations.

I bought this pattern based on the measurements on the envelope. However, this pattern is too big and the tucks may lay better if the dress was tighter. I made the smallest size available on my pattern - a 12. I probably should have made a 14. I usually make an 8 or 10 in Vogue.

Would you recommend it to others?
If you are ok with unfinished ends and hems.

Conclusion:
I may wear this a few times. I may try tacking down the front pleats and see if that helps. I may try the skirt in a stiffer material maybe the dress too...time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment