Monday, May 2, 2011

Turquoise Knit Dress - Butterick 5606

When I first saw this pattern, I immediately thought, comfortable, versatile dress in a pretty color. So I shopped my stash and found the perfect fabric.

I had been seeing these type dresses all over fashion catalogs and websites. They are called Infinity Dresses or Convertible Dresses. Here is Donna Karan's version as seen on NM.

My version of this dress is for casual occasions and cost about $7 to make and took exactly 2 hours. I do hope to make a strapless version that more resembles the version above in the future. Ceck out the pattern review below.



Pattern Description:
Pullover dress is close-fitting at the bust, has slightly flared skirt and drapes extending into tie-ends with raw edges, wrong side of fabric will show. May be worn foreward or backwards. Wearing instructions are included.

Pattern Sizing:
Y(XS-S-M), ZZ(L-XL-XXL)

Fabric Used:
Cotton Knit

Cost to Make:
$7

Time to Make:
2 hours

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes! There are 4 pattern pieces and 4 steps to completing this dress. You'll spend more time pinning then sewing!

What did you particularly like about this pattern?
The versatility

What did you dislike about the pattern?
I used a fabric that has a tendancy to curl, so some of the ways that I could wear this aren't as flattering because the ties curl. But there are enough designs that 'hide' the curling so I am fine.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made?
None at all; actually the ties are about 3" shorter because I ran out of fabric....but you can't tell!

Would you recommend it to others?
Yes. Make this in the morning and wear it to a house party that afternoon.
Just try not to use a knit that curls.

Conclusion:
Great dress. Very comfy. Will get a lot of wear! I'm excited; unfortunately we are having a late spring cold snap, so it will still be a few weeks before I can wear this :(.

No comments:

Post a Comment