Monday, May 2, 2011

White Linen Donna Karan Dress - Vogue 1221

I've had this white linen material in my stash for almost two years. I knew the exact dress that I wanted to make from this material. The problem was that the pattern didn't exist and I am not into patternmaking yet (I am trying to build my skills to that).

Well, my patience paid off when Vogue released this pattern.

This was the exact dress that I had envisioned!!!!! So as soon as the pattern went on sale, I scooped it up and the rest is now hanging in my closet!!! I love it, see my pattern review for more information on the pattern. This dress cost me about $20 to make, but it is a Donna Karan 100% linen dress; so I saved a few hundred dollars! The best thing is that I also made my husband a matching suit, so we will be sharp for our 10 year anniversay later this year!



Pattern Description:
Semi-fitted, straight, above mid-knee dress has tucked front and drape, extending to back zipper.
Pattern Sizing:
AA(6-8-10-12), EE(14-16-18-20)
Fabric Used:
100% Linen - I think linen is perfect for this dress...the wrinkles go perfectly with the style of this dress.
Cost to Make:
$20
Time to Make:
About 5 hours total
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes. Exactly
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Mostly. There is a strip of fabric that is used to join the front top to the front bottom. The 'arms' that wrap around the front of the dress cover this fabric strip. However, I found the instructions for this strip to be somewhat confusing and ended up 'making it work'. So my strip didn't look exactly like the pattern pictures, but since it is covered up...just make it work. All of the tucking and pleating conceals the strip anyway.

What did you particularly like about this pattern?
I liked the styling of the front and even the V-neck.

What did you dislike about the pattern?
The length of the skirt.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made?
None, this pattern doesn't lend itself for many alterations.

I do wish that I had lengthened it, but I forgot. So instead I took a 5/8" hem instead of a 1" hem. I am 5'4" and you see where it hits me. So don't forget to lengthen it if you want it to hit your knees.

Also this dress is not lined; which is another reason linen is a great fabric choice for it. But mine (since it is white) will require a full slip. You could probably draft a lining for it if you really want one. I serged the inside to keep everything neat.
Would you recommend it to others?
YES

Conclusion:
This is a great dress and a great pattern. I Love it and can't wait to wear it!

1 comment:

  1. Your dress is GORGEOUS. I am so glad I found your review because I just bought this pattern and wondered how it would turn out in a woven instead of a stretch or knit.

    Congratulations on celebrating your vows this year!

    ReplyDelete